Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Testing Your Techniques Is Key!


  Something that I am absolutely obsessed with when it comes to martial arts is application of techniques. I'm talking about application of actual techniques in sparring sessions with people of varied heights, weights, skill sets etc. I honestly feel that some people place too much emphasis on the theory of how a technique "should" play out if applied in a self defence or combat situation and never actually testing the technique. I also feel that some people place too much faith in these applications even though they have not been tested in a sparring situation or proven effective in combat sports etc.

 Too many people are taught techniques that work well and run smoothly in a partner drill, with a fully co-operating classmate or friend, yet fail to implement any of the those techniques under pressure. It seems so simple to have a partner slowly step in and throw a punch that you know is coming and defend it by side stepping, throwing three strikes, and sweeping them. It's another thing completely when that person is not standing there with their arm out while you throw your strikes, but trying to take your head off with follow up blows. I can think of countless videos online where practitioners of a certain form of martial art are fighting in a tournament and are unable to apply anything that remotely resembles techniques that they have learnt in their classes. Most of them break down into a stiff, sloppy, and a rather timid form of "kick boxing" or they end up getting into a "wrestling" match that reminds me of children fighting in the school yard. It's not enough to believe your technique is effective, it's not enough to be told the technique is effective, you must test it and find out if it is effective for you.

 I'm of the firm belief that if you have been taught a certain technique, or believe that one may hold some value , that it is important to test that technique through sparring with many people. Trying different ways of setting up that technique, baiting the opponent into the technique, making it faster or more efficient, and seeing if it's right for you as an individual. I also feel that it's important to discard the technique if you personally find it ineffective for you on an individual level.

 Myself, even when I'm taking classes in any martial art, or doing research on a specific art, I want to know about it's approach to combat and the applications of it's techniques. Every single martial art, regardless of how it's practiced now, was made for one thing and one thing only ... combat. I want to know the stances, foot work, punches, kicks, throws, and locks that are unique to that art and I want to see the applications. Then after I have gained some proficiency with each technique, I want to test them in live sparring to see if they are something I can efficiently integrate into my skill set. I need to know, first hand, if they work well for me and if they are something that I feel I can use effectively. I want to find what makes that art unique, and I want to find out what aspects of its approach and techniques work well for me as an individual.

 Any technique can work given the right situation, circumstances, opponent, and skill set. Practice every technique on pads, bags, with a co-operative partner, in front of the mirror etc. That's how we learn a skill at first and it's an important part of learning martial arts. However, once you have learnt that skill, it's time for the real work ... it's time to test that technique out during live sparring. You'll never know if your technique is truly effective if you fail to test it under pressure.

- Tim

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Tim. I was just thinking about this.
    Also, your blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jseegers! Glad you enjoyed the blog post and thanks for the kind words!

      Delete